Main Takeaway: You watch and then you realize that the attraction to the movie is not a singular aspect but rather the combination of star power, movie making prowess and streamlined storytelling that pulls you in and doesn't let go.
Verdict: Highly Recommended. 3D definitely, IMAX optional
- Spectacular, vivid shots of the planet Earth from space
- Believable sequences of peril, making you wonder what's going to happen next
- Incredibly long one-take shots; director Alfonso Cuaron's trademark, giving you a sense that you are actually there, in real time, as opposed to an omniscient viewer, watching in movie time
- Sandra Bullock and George Clooney; makes you want to root for them, even though you may have a hard time thinking of them as actual astronauts
- Short run time of 91 minutes (this isn't a con since it compresses the movie into a more potent package of storytelling and action sequences
- Hardly any lens flare
Lost in space. The final frontier. In space, no one can hear you scream. You've heard all of the movie references and tag line from past science fiction films. The thing about Gravity is that it's less fiction, more science and a tag line isn't really going to sum up this unique movie going experience. It sets a new bar in what a movie that takes place in space is all about. Watching it in 3D, the beginning of the movie really sets the tone: almost first hand experience of floating weightlessly in space, tagging along with the crew of the space shuttle as they are making adjustments to the Hubble space telescope. Some catastrophe happens that then kicks the movie into high gear. You watch and then you almost forget to breathe as our heroes face one dangerous predicament to the next. Cuaron does a phenomenal job of placing the audience in the middle of the action, at times putting the camera straight into the actor's face so that you can see, hear and even feel what they're going through. At times, it's a dizzyingly surreal experience ... something that I can say with confidence has never occured in any other movie going experience. It's that good.
Starring: Sandra Bullock, George Clooney
Written By: Alfonso Cuaron & Jonas Cuaron
Directed By: Alfonso Cuaron
Genre: Science Fiction, Thriller