I’ll be the first to admit that the Season 4 Finale was a very well written, well produced and well executed episode that deftly tied all of the loose threads from previous seasons together into a single knot of concentrated LOST goodness. And boy, was a tight knot. I mean, you had, in no particular order, the following storylines to address:
- Dealing with those psycho Freighter commandos
- The Orchid Station
- The Oceanic 6’s return to civilization
- Desmond and Penny’s reunion
- All of the stuff with Michael, including a cameo by Walt
- Jin’s fate on the freighter (but do we really know what happened?)
- Lapidus, Faraday, Miles and that annoying chick with the accent.
- Juliet and Sawyer, Rose and Bernard
- Ben’s ultimate sacrifice
- Moving the Island (no surprise, that was done)
- And lastly, who’s in the coffin and why is HE in the coffin?
- How are the Oceanic 6 plus the late Jeremy Bentham going to get back?
- What did happen on the island while the Oceanic 6 went away?
- What is the real fate of Michael and Jin?
- What did happen to the island?
As critical as I am about the season finale, I still liked it. I had to watch it a second time to really appreciate what the writers and producers are trying to achieve. I’m hoping by setting this up for us now, it will pay TV gold dividends with the remaining last two seasons. That is what I’m hoping for. We didn’t get the big twist ending this time around, but this being LOST, I’m sure that there will still be a lot of good things to look forward to in the coming seasons.